Owning my flawed choices

I’m happy to have been published in Medium’s Literally Literary publication today, on the theme of Redemption. Apropos for this Easter weekend. Please check it out, friends. And have a peaceful, blessed, joyful spring weekend . . .

My father’s tie hangs in the “His” closet of my His & Hers set. The “His” to my “Hers” moved out, pre-divorce, five years ago. So, while the tie looks a bit lonely amidst the formal dresses and snappy stilettos, there it sits.

Odd that my father’s tie is still with me, although he is not. At least not physically. I feel him in spirit, hovering near on the days I feel less than my best self.

For the rest, visit Literally Literary.

My mother often told me I would live a long time with the choices I made — wisdom I overlooked when I made life-altering choices in my early twenties as most young adults do. Some of them were poor choices, of course: the man I married and accepting his stance that we shouldn’t have children for various altruistic and selfish reasons. But late in life I found another man, a bit flawed, who loved me with all his heart and shared his children and grandchildren with me. Still, there are regrets.

Regrets are so sad, aren’t they? Did you see La La Land? At the end, the female lead plays a movie in her head of what might have been–the life she didn’t choose. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the theater.

2. Love your honest raw writing as always Kristine. Our parents, our first mentors in life, often do lead us into repeat cycles but letting that go and creating a new life as Adults is liberating and creates true freedom! Thanks for sharing 💕

Thanks for reading and for your always thoughtful commentary :-).

3. Our flaws and flawed relationships shape us in so many ways, for better and for worse. And for growing wiser. Maybe when we find the strength to own our flaws and our choices we gain freedom from the power they sometimes seem to have over us. Thanks for your insights and reflections.

Oh, I so believe that. Acceptance is the first step to wisdom and freedom. Thanks so much for reading and commenting so thoughtfully. You always have something to share that helps us all.

4. Ninasusan says:

I felt lots of emotion reading this blog. From sadness to anger to hope!

Thank you for feeling the entire range and sticking with it :-).

A very honest, raw and beautifully written piece. It speaks to everyplace you’ve been and where you are today.

Thank you, George:). Kind words!

6. Cindy Frank says:

As always, beautifully written, deeply felt. Bravo!

Thank you, Cindy! I appreciate you reading and always being so thoughtful in your comments:).

7. cristi says:

I feel my dad “hovering near” too when I need him. Love that! I keep a sweater of his in my closet, instead of a tie. 🙂 Wishing you all Spring’s best this Easter weekend! xo

Isn’t it a great feeling, still knowing he watches over you? I hope you wear the sweater from time to time . . .