Another place and time

Do you ever awake and wonder how it is you got here? Feeling the tug from another place and time? A world in which we are all awakened by the gentle lapping of water and a dog’s nuzzle? A world where the sun is shining and our gardens are blooming. Or, the gentle pitter patter of rain on the roof invites us to brew a cuppa’ and hunker down with a good book.

A world where everyone calls you by name. The baker knows just how you like your bread and asks after your elderly mother. The people you work with have left their egos in the desert to die, instead wanting to bring new ideas to the table so the team can birth an innovation not yet introduced to the world. Your children’s teachers actually care about kids, and knowledge, and growth, instead of counting the days to summer vacation.

A place where the stores are filled only with beautiful things. Even function can bring beauty. Where a fork worth forging is one that brings a design element to bear. Or a kitchen table. Or a notebook. Or the wicker basket used to hold your magazines. Where most of us realize that the effort to bring something into the world should be an effort to beautify the world. Or it’s not really worth doing.

In this world–the one that tugs at you from the ether–the common good matters. As does beauty. Love. Gentleness. We are less in a hurry and more in wonder. We are more in awe and less dismissive.

I often feel I have left such a world behind to venture into this one. And I wonder why . . .

1. Beautifully written from within… a soul hunkering to experience its natural state of being love, joy and harmony here on the physical Earth… no matter the experience otherwise. The soul writing a new script to tempt the Human to come out and play… it is time to birth New Earth AND you as a creative writer are helping us all connect with this beautiful natural world that is but a breath away. Much love Kay, Barbara x

Some days, I wish it was as simple as taking a breath and being there :-). Thank you for the kind words. Here’s to birthing that world here.

2. Speaking of bread, the restaurant near my workplace knows my order far then well by now. We do talk about stuff as I pay
    I am sure the world exists0

Nothing better than a restaurant that knows you :-). Gives you the sense of being at home even when you’re not at home.

3. I think I might be living in that place right now! I just moved to a sleepy little town in the alps in Switzerland!

Oh, that just begs for pictures! Sounds heavenly.

Kay, I feel like I left that world when I left my family home; I also feel my decisions and personal busyness drove the wedge between what was and is. But, in retirement, I feel I am rediscovering that world. It was there all along, but I was too busy to notice. You stir my emotions and thoughts as few do, dear lady.

Oh, that last sentence got me. Thanks. I always hope to make you feel or think something. I’m glad to hear you’re rediscovering it in retirement. I see my sisters doing some of that (all of them are much closer in age) but I’m still in the thick of the “busyness.” That’s life, eh?

That’s a pretty powerful last line, Kristine. Those who have never been there may dream about finding that place but for someone who has been there, and wonders why they’re not still, the pull is stronger, the questions deeper and the possible regret is unsettling.
    You have a way of using your words without wasting one. That’s a gift. You bring your thoughts and feelings to the surface quickly and then push them out there for us to feel them as you do. Another gift.
    I hope you find your answer sooner, rather than later..:)

Thank you, George. The way you put my gifts brought a lump to my throat. Probably among the nicest things you could say to a writer :-). Thank you for reading and for your kind commentary. Means so much that what I put out there is resonating.

6. Kristine, The place you describe sounds like my little hometown in CT. I love our sense of community. You can’t find it living in a city, which can be very impersonal. Thanks for this reminder.

If that’s the case, I’ll be right over:). Set me a place for dinner!

7. I love the way you think, and I wish it was possible to exist in a world just like the one you just described. Oh, how I wish that.

My esoteric side believes that the souls that are here now chose to be here now so that we could get closer to such a world. I am not sure if I will see it in my lifetime but I certainly hope the world becomes a kinder, gentler place within the next couple of generations.

1. Me too. I think it will happen, I really do.

8. I hear you, sister. At such times, I remind myself that each era, and each world, has its good and bad. We make the most of the good and try our best to manage the bad.

That sounded vice! And I have to believe that if we are here at this moment in time, there is a reason for us being here. That we signed up for this tour of duty.

9. Cindy Frank says:

I think you are very beautifully defining why so many writers write and so many artists create. You’re one of them.

Of course! Why didn’t I think of that? We are trying to re-create or find again that sacred space from whence we came :-).

10. I definitely crave a simpler life! I think that slowing down is a huge help, although it’s not easy when the rest of the world is racing by …

Right?! It’s hard for the early adopters:). Here in the US, we should be learning from the rest of the world and instead they are adopting our crazy pace. Such a shame.

11. To teach you a journey of love Kay…self love…because of it ❤
    But it was a beautiful place. And because of 'now', I really appreciate it all the more when those bits protrude into this world 😀

Here’s to those bits taking over!

12. Spyro says:

Hi – I was ready to mention that I have no experience with this kind of world. I really would not know how to act. But then I thought of my couple of real good group of friends, and realized that time and relationship with them is comfortable, calm, ego-less, at least similar. Happy to be reminded. Thank you. Spyro

What a wonderful experience-to be able to develop an “alternative world” within our own. I hope that world expand to include the rest of us!

Hey, friend… I like being neighbors with you, right here where our backyards meet in our ideal universe. One thing I know for sure: You make the real world a better place. For as much as I, too, sigh over the losses, hurts, heartaches and hardships of life, I’m glad to be here. Otherwise, I’d have missed a pearl like you. Keep shining. xxoo

Oh, you are just as kind as ever, friend. I cannot wait until we finally meet for tea to solve the world’s problems :-). XXOO

Thank you for the reboot! Much appreciated.

1. Thank you for your thoughts. I feel very much displaced and yearning for a time that is past. Must be some Outlander overload, but the simpler times of life when we knew each other and fears were more able to be handled. Now what can we do? The world is such a big place with problems that little people cannot solve.

And yet, I feel that if we can each get to a place of peace within ourselves, there will be a seachange in the world.

14. You are not alone in these thoughts! But have we forgotten why we are here? To learn, to unlearn, to grow, to expand, to become warriors of love and fearlessness. That’s not easy. In fact, that sucks a lot some days. But that’s why we are here. 💕

Ah, yes. So very true. But there are days I wonder why I signed up for the doctoral course :-).

15. Kerrie Brown says:

Oh Kristine I understand! I’ve been following your blog for a couple months now and really enjoy and relate to your insights. Last November I sold my company, waved goodbye to my two adult children and embarked on my mid-life crisis to regain a sense of this paradise lost you describe so beautifully. Since flying away from careworn responsibility, I’ve dipped my toes into the oceans surrounding eight different countries on the globe – and counting. I can testify that on every continent, in every language, people are looking for the same thing. Humankind needs peace. Beauty. Joy. Love. Friendship. I tenaciously hold to the belief it can be achieved on a personal level, and perhaps without such drastic measures as those I’ve employed. Here’s to finding Eden amongst the smokestacks.
    Keep up your good work.

Dipping toes into oceans around the globe sounds like a heavenly prescription! I hope you’re soaking all that peace and beauty into your bones. I think if we can each find the personal peace you mention, it will take the world a ways down the road to global peace.

16. Deb says:

I am definitely feeling this today!

I’ll join you in another place and time for dinner:).