Celebrating small victories

Rarely do I celebrate small victories.

I should, because these are the victories I seem to be awarded.

A shout-out to my compadres. Those of you who might be rebuilding a life after divorce, muddling your way through raising teens, finding a way to follow your passion and pay the bills.

Myriad ways of figuring out our lives, right?

Winners trophySo when we do—figure them out, that is—even in the most infinitesimally small ways, we should take note. Celebrate.

I have found there is no need to include others. Most of the time, they will not understand this small victory because they did not understand or live the situation leading up to it.

It is enough to toast to yourself.

This week, in a week where the virus one very small 10-year-old boy brought home has felled an entire household, small victories were all I got.

Tax time. If you know me well, you know tax time is my nemesis. So much record keeping, so much calculating, so many things to discuss with the accountant. In years past, particularly after my divorce, tax time was a long, drawn-out nightmare.

But this year, I realized I was able to pull together my documentation in a matter of hours. An afternoon, really. All of the tedious phone calls and website entry I’d had to do to make my financial affairs much more electronic in nature finally paid off.

Found time, for me, is a small victory.

Being able to donate a few bags and boxes of things that no longer fit my body, my lifestyle or my preferences made me feel lighter.

Lightening up is a small victory.

Accepting that I was ill and resting rather than trying to power through, as I usually do, was a new thing I tried this week.

I found taking care of myself is a small victory also. Along with not beating myself up for missing barre class because I was sick.

These bits are important to me only, really. And yet, I write about them because I am sure you have your own small victories.

Break out the champagne, people.

It is these small celebrations that will lead us to the big one. Without these tiny milestones—learning to better handle finances, clearing clutter, taking good care of ourselves, fill-in-the-blank with your own victory—we don’t ever achieve the big ones.

At least, not in a way we can enjoy.

Let those bubbles tickle your nose, your tongue.

You earned them with little fanfare. And can celebrate in the same manner. While enjoying them all the same.

Sending my applause your way.

1. nikitech0103 says:

Thank you, for this wonderful post.

2. Awesome! And thank you, thank you, thank you for helping my brain shift out of “everything sucks and is too hard lately” and into gratitude. I love your small victories, and I’ll now spend a few minutes remembering what I’m grateful for.

It’s easy to get into that hard mindset when things are hard. And we’re only human!

3. I am glad that you took time to celebrate these (not so small) victories, and especially getting taxes done and out of the way. That is huge.

4. Taxes in an afternoon? I’m positively green with envy. I think I’ll celebrate that one for you just because I am so impressed!

5. Oh please, I wish you hadn’t mentioned that ‘tax’ word. My nemesis too…and my accountant is nagging me. Instead, this afternoon I am taking off to the beach. I know I shouldn’t, but life’s too short…Have a wonderful weekend, and get well soon!

Oh, that sounds positively lovely! The beach, that is. Not the nagging bit:). You made a righteous choice, my friend . . .

6. If we wait for life’s major events to break out the champagne, that bottle’s going to have a lot of cobwebs. Every week there’s something to celebrate. How about just surviving?

7. KM Huber says:

It is true there is no need to include others for in not living the journey, the joy is not fully appreciated. Just recently, I found the same, although it was in the sharing with others that I discovered it. They were gracious but small victories are ours alone but then, so is the celebration. Enjoyed the post, Kay. Hope you continue to feel better. Karen

I have found solo celebrations delightful, much to my surprise. I hope you’ve found the same:).

1. KM Huber says:

I have as well. 🙂

8. And sending my applause to you. Those victories are not so little Kay. Congratulations for becoming the victor of a mountain climb that will always throw something around the next corner…whether a steep incline or a view that takes your breath away. All help create the beauty that is you. Take a bow lovely lady 🙂

9. One of the first things I did when I left my husband was buy a bottle of champagne. My best friends parents always had champagne in their fridge and celebrated often. I love the carefree feeling it imparts.

Funny you should mention it:). I have two bottles in my fridge right now. If only I wasn’t far too congested to enjoy it!

10. Dale says:

Oh absolutely! One must celebrate the little things (besides, they do add up!) I have begun my closet purge and was blown away at the emotions attached to some of the things found waaaaaay at the back. A load is slowly being lifted so hurray for me! Chin Chin!

The best kind of purge . . . when loads, figurative and real, are lifted. Kudos to you:).

1. Dale says:

It is finally done and I cannot believe how much I cried! Finding hubby’s old passports and driver’s licenses (and all the oodles of useless things he kept…) I was torn between chucking and keeping and actually did a mix. Kept the old passports, chucked the rest! I don’t even want to think of doing his closet yet… Baby steps.

Brave step! Truly. Good for you.

3. Dale says:

Been procrastinating but finally made one little step. Small celebration!

Found time, lightening up, taking care of yourself: small victories add up to great joy! Here’s to you, my friend. You make me smile. xoxo