The silver-tongued devil in my life

On second thought . . .

. . . the cliff diving was not such a good idea.

When I was a teen, I went with friends to a local lake. This particular lake featured a cliff that people dove off quite regularly.

I was at an age where anything that scared me was a hurdle to conquer. I could not ride home in the car feeling like I had been bested by my fellow lake-goers, or so Adventure whispered in my ear.Costa rocciosa italiana

It took me several minutes to work up the courage, as I looked down at the water, to leap. I remember thinking it had not looked quite so high from below. I did leap. The fall through the air lasted just seconds but the descent when I hit the water seemed to take hours. Down I went, like a rocket, all 98 pounds of me. When I stopped falling and was able to swim toward the surface, I felt I would burst before getting back to air.

An intrepid soul trying the same stunt from that very cliff a year later died.

Perhaps signing up for a physics course in college was not so bright either. At least as an English and Journalism major. Physics for Society did not live up to its innocuous name. It was taught by a low-level assistant whose English was faulty. And physics is physics, folks. Whether it is for society or not. You need some natural aptitude to get it.

I received a C in the class, a rarity in my college career, and even that only by the grace of God.

I thought it would be a “fun” and “exciting” course, something off my beaten path. My mother looked at me as if I had three heads when I told her that, making it clear that Adventure was not welcome as a regular guest. Of course, she remembered the Chemistry debacle of my high school years, something I had conveniently forgotten. Let’s just say it is a good thing Ms. Dabrowski liked me or I might still be trying to pass that class to this day.

I could go on. Drinking my 28th-birthday cocktail in Mexico with ice made from local tap water; as I lay in a Mexican hotel the next night with a raging fever, I actually thought about penning a will.  When back in the States, the doctor told me I was very lucky the bacteria I picked up was not more “dangerous.”

Trusting my fellow waiter the summer after college when he told me he would “of course” catch me as I fell backward during the team trust training. It is a good thing most 22-year-olds are not prone to broken hips.

Adventure and I, we have a shaky relationship. He looks good to me occasionally but that silver-tongued devil has left me hanging more often than not.

I flirted with him in Costa Rica, but for the most part, I realize we are not a long-term partnership.

Then again . . . .

1. Wowah! You are way more adventurous than me. I’m totally a chicken shit!

2. heyjude6119 says:

I’ve never been too daring. Sneaking out of the house after curfew to go to a party, skipping school, sneaking into an R-rated movie when I was underage. Those were my adventures. These days I like to live in the zone. The comfort zone.
    Enjoyed reading about your daring.

Something about becoming responsible for other little lives makes you rethink daring:). I hear you!

I wouldn’t have jumped, I have too much common sense. I wanted to be an engineer, physics talked me out of it, not smart enough. I wouldn’t have been in Costa Rica, couldn’t have afforded it, but still would have had some booze, somewhere. As for the flirting, yea, what the hell. It’s good for the ego.

4. My sense of adventure is choosing anything but steak on a meal out – oooh I’m such a thrill seeker – gimme the “chef’s special” 😁

That cliff jump sounds bloody awesome – for anyone else to do – but me! X

I will admit to having eaten in restaurants that would make the chef’s special an adventure:). I hope you’ve not suffered the consequences of that daring!

1. Ah Kay I tend to come to my senses after waitress is walking off “Come back! Come back! I’ve changed my mind – I want the steak!” 😁

I’m a creature of habit I’m afraid – hence why I’ve allowed Jeff to stay so long 😄😄

5. A little adventure’s not so bad 🙂 I decided in my infinite wisdom to take a course in advanced level maths – that adventure didn’t pay off at all…

6. markbialczak says:

Once in a while, still, it might work out, right? 😉 I’m much like you, Kay. Very much.

I agree, Mark! Never say never:).

7. Ahh adventure. Adventure is a good friend of mine, but if I saw a cliff like that, I’d be like, “Not today, Satan.” 🙂

Lol. And you’d be wise to say it!

8. That Cliff! WOW

Who does not have danger in their lives?

The devil in our lives speak to us differently when we’re a little younger than when we get a little more cautious and smarter…:)

10. You are adventurous Kay! and somehow I think you may have had some guardian angels along the way. Looking back it’s hard to believe any of us survived the choices we made!

I think the cliff bit had them working overtime:). Yes! Firm believer in guardian angels and the occasional safe adventure.

11. Love the humor in this devil-may-care peek at daring personal leaps.

12. Hey Kay, speaking of crazy adventure and Silver Tongued Devil’s (aka ‘men’)….have you been asked out on a date again? 😀
    Great post though Kay, you are an adventurer, and if that is the actual cliff in the picture above, I’d hesitate before doing that one 🙂

It’s not the actual cliff, thank goodness, Mark. I could not find a photo of the lake/water park we used to go to . . . I’d heard talk that they closed it as a park after the death. But, believe me, it was of some scale. I still look back and wonder at my sanity:).

1. We’re not allowed to have brains back then….or there would be no ‘adventure’ 😀 ,you know, cliff’s, boy’s etc.
        With great wisdom we now know we were crazy 😀